To replace the Clutch Pad, first follow the steps for "Removing the Spool and Replacing the Spool". Once the Spool is removed, you have access to the Clutch Pad. Simply pull it off the Motor Shaft and replace. Reassemble the Spool and Spool Cover in the reverse order.
Recommended Parts to Replace and Part Numbers
Removing the Spool and Replacing the Spool
- Unplug the downrigger and make sure it is not connected to a power source. Then secure the Spool.
- Locate the Clutch Knob on the Spool side of the downrigger. Rotate the Clutch Knob clockwise to remove it from the downrigger.
- Loosen the two 1/4-20 Phillips Head Screws on opposite sides on the Spool Cover using an #2 screwdriver.
- With the screws loose, remove the cover to access the Spool.
- With the Spool Cover removed, carefully remove the Spool, make sure the Line is pulled free from the Downrigger Assembly.
Replacing the Clutch Pad
Once the Spool is removed, you have access to the Clutch Pad. Pull it off the Motor Shaft and replace the pad. Click here to purchase a new Clutch Pad, part number 3391710.
Reassemble the Spool and Spool Cover
- Take the Spool and turn it so that the Line is wound in a counter-clockwise direction.
- Feed the end of the Line through the base of the Downrigger Assembly so that the end of the Line exits the Downrigger Assembly toward the Boom.
- Pull the Line so that it is tight and void of extra slack. Avoid kinks and bends in the Line and insert the new Spool so it is seated on the Motor Shaft.
- With the Spool back in place and the Line routed accurately, replace the Spool Cover back in place on the Downrigger Assembly and secure it by tightening the Phillips Head Screws using an #2 Screwdriver.
- Replace the Clutch Knob on the Spool side of the downrigger. Rotate the Clutch Knob counter-clockwise to install it on the downrigger.